Update: Native Ad Compliance and the FTC
Is it good business for your native ads to comply with FTC guidelines?
It’s been a little over a year since the FTC published guidelines for native advertising. In just 12 months this has led to a significant shift in how native or sponsored content has been implemented. In our original analysis, MediaRadar discovered that in year 2015 75% of publishers hosted native campaigns without any mention of the content being advertising. With the FTC’s guidelines in place however, that number has dropped substantially. Over January we’ve re-run our analysis. Now just 5% of publishers fail to mark native content at all. This is a significant shift in accountability and transparency.
At the time the regulation was announced, some in the industry was concerned that such thorny legalese would dampen adoption of native advertising. But this has not been the case.
- There are 16,000 native advertisers buying ads in the past year, up 73% from 2015.
- Programmatic native exchanges have become very good at amplifying native, placing 4,182 native advertisers in calendar year 2016.
- There have been very few fines over publishers or advertisers violating the guidelines.
It is true that there are still examples of native content that is not complaint with FCT guidelines. But in the big picture, with our country focused on fake news, there is more emphasis on premium content, and premium transparency, than ever before.
Read full article and learn more about Native Advertising and the FTC Guidelines here.
Here’s How To Make Sure You,
Your Business & Website Is FTC Compliant
By now it should be clear how important it is for you to be FTC compliant. But how can you do that without spending $7,500-$8,000 or more on Internet Attorneys?
Smart business owners around the world are doing it with the help of FTC Guardian.
FTC Guardian is a service that is 100% focused on helping to keep you get and stay FTC compliant and fully protected. And right now, we are offering a free training to give you the knowledge, information, and guidance that you need to stay out of trouble with the Federal Trade Commission.
Here are some of the things you’ll discover on the training:
- Real-Life Examples of People Who Didn’t Think They Were At Risk, But Who Got Nailed By The FTC, And Why It Could Happen To You, Too
- Why 2014 Was a Significant Year For Online Businesses, And Why You Should Be Worried!
- The 3 Enormous Powers The FTC Has That Can Change Your Life – And Your Family’s Life – Forever!
- How to Avoid FTC Claims When Collecting Leads With Optin Forms
- And Much More…
Remember: legal protection is a massively important part of your business, and it’s one you cannot afford to ignore any longer.
Disclaimer: This article is provided for informational purposes only. It’s not legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is created. Neither the author nor FTC Guardian, Inc. is endorsed by the Federal Trade Commission.